I love travelling, enjoy being outside in nature and experiencing different cultures.
Travelling is more than just sightseeing, it is experiencing life on a different level. To see other cultures and the way they live is an eye opener.
I was born and raised in Germany, travelled a bit through Europe, moved to Australia 8 years ago and fulfilled my dream to travel to Southamerica for 2 months last year. In all those years I have learned a lot about myself and life in general:
- Respecting other people no matter where they come from, their cultural background, their job or how poor or rich they are. Everybody has a different story to tell, you never know what they have been through in their life and in the end it just doesn’t matter. Everybody deserves respect and a friendly smile.
- Being grateful of what you have. Travelling to poorer countries in particular open your eyes. I have seen very poor people in Peru but they were so friendly and nice and they would give you anything when you treat them with respect. Some of the poor people don’t have hot showers or a big warm house. This makes you realise how rich you are even though you might just rent a small place but you are able to have a warm bath. People in the westernised world are complaining a lot about ‘nothing’. Travelling to those countries make you realise what a great life you have.
- You cannot buy happiness. Happiness comes from the inside and not from material items you own. I met poor people who were happy with their life. It is about owning things you cannot buy with money, like health, love and friendships.
- I realised for myself and decided to stop shopping but to spend the money on travelling. This gives you insights, unforgettable experiences, great memories and opens your mind. It will change you for the better. You might not have enough money to travel – well, save and spend wisely and there is a budget for everyone. You don’t necessarily need to fly far away, the best travel can be in your area.
- Don’t wait that something will happen, make things happen and follow your dreams. Life is too short. Don’t let fear hold you back and miss out. What do you have to lose?
- Try new things and eat what the locals eat. You will be amazed what amazing cuisines are out there. I love cooking and in I try new recipes from different cultures. Festival of the taste butts.
- Travel and pack light. Being on tour for 2 months made me learn how to pack light and simple. There are laundries everywhere and you don’t need your high heels when travelling through Southamerica. Organise your belongings and you will become a master and packing.
- Dress simple and leave your jewellery at home. You don’t need to show off your luxury in poor countries. You will have a much more peaceful trip.
- Beauty is everywhere, just open your eyes. Do not compare one place with another. Each is unique and has its own charm. Respect and enjoy the nature we live in.
- Being organised when travelling is important but leave room for spontaneous things to have a bit of an adventure.